THE FASHION ISSUE.

I know I can’t be the only one who feels this way. I attend a college where fashion does not rule the campus. I know this happens everywhere, but it seems to be worse in smaller towns than in bigger towns and cities.  North face jackets, sweat pants, soffee shorts, oversized t-shirts, and hoodies rule the campus. I know this is everywhere, but probably about 5% of the campus dresses up. This is not what bothers me. What bothers me is, that when someone does dress up (whether they wear something trendy, edgy, or classic), people literally stare at you like you are some kind of alien. People who are not interested, not studying, or not dealing with the fashion industry on a regular basis really are not familiar with what’s going on with that industry or the trends. I have contemplated whether these looks are maybe out of curiosity, or perhaps they are judgmental looks? Maybe they are just interested? Either way, it has made me uncomfortable in the past. I have learned to ignore these looks, whatever their reasoning may be. Whenever this happens, I just remind myself that I will not be living in this town forever, and when I finally graduate and move away, I will be proud to know that I expressed myself through clothing no matter how others looked at me. Besides, you don’t get noticed by blending in, right? I know I can’t be the only one who has experienced this. What are your guys’ stories? Has this ever happened to you? If so, how do you deal with it?

image tumblr.com

 

image

Comments

  1. lovely photograph, your blog is soo lovely by the ways, i will be visiting it again very soon :)


    http://haveapeekinsidemywardrobe.blogspot.com/
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh, i know that kind of school society., i gotta say i'm quite happy with how much students in my uni appreciate fashion. most girls really look stylish (though sometimes effortlessly) and this has become one of my motivation to actually go to campus ;p but then again my university is mostly attended with rich kids who don't know where else to spend their money so many brag about their stuffs too. but i love to see how us not that rich girls are always a little more trendy than them who prioritize brands instead of personal style ;)

    but cheer up! don't give a damn abt those who don't care about fashion. you simply have different interests... or probably they're just jealous.





    WWW.FASHIONGEEKSCLOSET.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your work, you have great sense for this!
    Please see mine and maybe follow ?
    http://thepileofstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. My college campus wasn't this way, but my hometown is. UGH, it's dreadful. People literally go out wearing pajama pants, uggs, and hoodies. When I need put on a nice outfit and go around town and have someone take photos of it for my blog, ALL the townies stare and make weird comments. It's so annoying. Ugh....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly how you feel, I hate this!! It makes me feel really insecure too, but I try and ignore it. I think as long as you look confident, they won't judge you as much..

    http://styleservings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post - I live by being overdressed! I would rather be overdressed than underdressed and look bad :)

    Dress for yourself, that's all that matters.

    Red Soles and Red Wine

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful photograph of Eiffel it is!! nice post dear <3 i love your blog! :)

    follow me if you love to, and ill follow you back :)

    http://mithakomala.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this exact same problem living in Derby, I have to seriously tame my style living here, infact I only ever wear hats for blog pictures, I would never dare to leave the house in one! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree! Great post! I was fortunate enough to attend fashion school (FIDM) so I got to see great outfits on a regular basis. However, I am from a small town, a jean and flip flop kind of town, and I feel like I get weird looks whenever I dress up. It is so annoying, but I don't care anymore! I take it as a compliment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post! We also feel the same thing.

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: http://www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG: http://www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing pictures! I love Paris.

    http://thestyleattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post. I come from a small town and after moving back from a big city, after my ideas on fashion changed a bit, it was disconcerting to get those up and down stares. However, I do get the occasional "great outfit," which always brightens my day. I just keep doing my thing, even with those looks or that no one seems to get what I'm doing. Just keep doing what you like!
    P.S. they are just jealous that they can't look as good as you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know exactly how you feel. I live in a town where formal attire means that "your jeans have to be nice." People wear camouflage to prom. But I still try to look my best every day, and people definitely think I'm weird. But I honestly love it. I would be ashamed if I DID fit in in this town! If you're getting weird looks for what you're wearing, you must be doing something right.

    xoxo
    Emily

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share the love :)

Popular Posts